Contentment Reading Challenge 2012
Hosted by Legacy of a Writer
What is the Contentment Reading Challenge? Well, it's based on the idea that we, as avid readers, have many books scattered around our homes--on shelves, in the closet, under the bed, etc.--that we hope to read again "some day", but have not made the time to do so. Or maybe you are continually purchasing new books and never take the time to be content with the ones that are currently on your bookshelf.
If you want to take the time to read those books that you have enjoyed in the past year or two and are sitting there staring at you from your bookshelf, then I encourage you to join in this reading challenge with me! This is the Contentment Reading Challenge's second year (last year it was begun and hosted by Amber at Seasons of Humility), and Legacy of a Writer is excited to be taking over the reins for this challenge in 2012.
This challenge is a more of a personal challenge, so don't feel like you have to strictly follow all of the rules in order to be involved. What really counts is our heart attitudes--to learn to be content and revisit the books we have read in the past. And while this isn't an overnight change, it's something we can be working on together.
How to participate? Good question! Below are the rules...
- Anyone can join.
- How to join? If you have a blog, post about your decision to join in the Contentment Reading Challenge for 2012 and then leave a comment below saying you want to join. Oh, and be sure to include the link to your post in the comment!
- If you have a blog, grab the Contentment Reading Challenge button and put it in your sidebar.
- This IS a challenge, so there has to be some goals/levels to set. There's no pressure--just choose whatever level you think would be good for you to try and accomplish in this coming year.
* Floating: Skimming the surface, you re-read 5 books you already own.
* Wading: Getting your feet wet, you re-read 10 books you already own.
* Swimming: Immersing yourself again, you re-read 15 books you already own.
* Diving: Going deep into the stories you love, you re-read 20 or more books that you already own.
- This challenge officially starts on January 1st, 2012 and officially ends on December 21st, 2012. I will be posting on and off throughout the year about the challenge (hopefully, every month), and I would love to hear how you are doing on reaching your goal in the challenge. So be looking! I still am not sure what all I will do, but I'm sure there will be some fun activities along the way (like bookswaps, for sure! ;-) and maybe even a celebration at the end of the year, so I hope you can join me!
- A verse for us to remember during the challenge... "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." (Hebrews 13:5)
And last, but not least...
- I will be keeping this page updated frequently with the posts I do throughout the year. So be sure to check back here to see if you might've missed any posts updating my progress or hosting a fun activity.
Disclaimer: This challenge originally came from Amber's blog, Seasons of Humility, who hosted it last year. The Contentment Reading Challenge is not designed to discourage people from supporting Christian authors by buying their books. The purpose in this challenge is just to foster an overall attitude of contentment and to remind each other of the wonderful books we already have to be thankful for. In no way will anyone be disqualified for buying new books or reading review copies to promote new books.